Friday, 16 May 2014

The Mysteries of Mars

It was an expedition to Mars and I was in charge. It was all ready, I had everything - from years worth of food to a trained team. Even so, I was incredibly nervous. We were going on an expedition to Mars to try to find fossils. Many had gone before us, but none had been successful. This time, though, we were told to try a different location - mountains and volcanoes. I was hoping it would work, but I wasn’t certain. I tried not to get my hopes up.

We all said goodbye to our friends, family, and all our loved ones, then boarded the spaceship. We all knew that it would be no short journey, taking on average 200 days to get there. I hoped we would be back soon, though. On those 200 days inside the spaceship, there were many things to do. We had all we needed to survive, of course. We had water, food, bathrooms, bedrooms, living rooms, gym, entertainment goods, etc.

One day, day 78 I think, we had an accident happen. I was asleep, along with most of the crew, except three of my crewmates which were awake, steering the ship and such. Suddenly, one of them shouted “Look out!”. The spaceship was violently thrown to the side. An asteroid had opened a gash at the side of the ship. We were losing oxygen, and if we did not fix it, we would not be able even to make it to Mars. Dan and I went out in our space suits to try to fix the gash. Luckily, the gash was not as bad as we feared. We had a special sort of foam glue just for these sort of emergencies. The instructions said to turn off the ship, apply once a day for one week, and then try turning on the ship. And so we did that. One week later, we tried to turn on the ship and half the foam tore. So we tried again, this time for 9 days. Luckily, it worked. With our hopes restored, we were on our way to Mars again.

Exactly 203 days after our departure, we arrived on Mars. I was part of the first scouting team, along with two more members. Mars was exactly what they told me - It was a sort of bloody red, which I knew was because of  the iron-rich minerals found on it’s surface. We landed right next to Olympus Mons, the largest volcano in the solar system, which is about 17 miles high and about three times the height of mount Everest. It stretches across roughly 374 miles, about the size of Arizona. We thought it would be a good idea to start looking there. We started on the base and worked our way up. We went slowly, each day covering a little more. Finally, on day 11, Amelia found one bone. One huge thigh bone. From then on, we focused on that area.

Each day, we found more and more bones, scattered around, all of them bigger than what we were used to. One day, I found the skull of that animal. It was enormous with sharp teeth, and you could tell it was very old. The sharp teeth suggested it was a carnivore, meaning there were other animals around! We scavenged for a while more, but found nothing for one more week, so we decided to try to put the bones together to form a skeleton and report our findings. We did so, and it looked rather complete, except for one leg and a few ribs.

When we showed our boss, he was shocked. Told us to abandon the mission right away and return to Earth. And so we did. 191 days later, we arrived to a big welcome from our family and friends. I was not satisfied though. I wanted to know what we had found. So I took the skeleton to be examined. 1 month later, my boss called my team in to discuss something seemingly important. He started with questions. Firstly, he asked where we found it. Then, how deep it was, what was around it, were there any other bones in the area, and a few more questions. We tried to answer all questions as fully as possible. He then told us what he was keeping all this time. He told us that the bones we found were that of a Tyrannosaurus rex. He said that, for a few years now, he suspected that somehow, there were dinosaurs on Mars. He told us that five years ago, another expedition team brought back an Iguanodon skeleton.

He said that he needed us to go back out there, go to Mars, and find more evidence to support his hypothesis. Something other than bones. Maybe something that explained how they got onto Mars, and how they survived in Mars. So, here I am, one year later, about to embark on my spaceship, ready to go to mars for a second time.  Except this time, I’m not nervous. I’m actually looking forward to it.

To Be Continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please write positive comments or constructive feedback in full sentences.