Content: Students will
We saw a video that was about people diving to go fishing with special swim suits that is shown below.
Here you will have to write a summery of the article and if you do not finish it is homework.
Watch this video on Fishing using Compressor Diving in the Philippines
- Why is it a problem?
- Explain the cause of the problem and science related to the problem.
- Explain what people are doing to solve the problem.
- Explain how nature acts to solve the problem (challenge).
- Explain & discuss other ways to solve the problem in the future.
1) Why is it a problem?
- Too few fish - we have fished so much that there are far fewer fish.
- So fisherman have to use different techniques such as compressor diving. Compressor diving is extremely dangerous.
Explain the cause of the problem and science related to the problem.
- The area is overfished
The fish don’t have time to reproduce. Have to understand science of reproduction.
- They don’t have the money to afford safe diving equipment. Understand the science of pressure and decompression sickness
Explain what people are doing to solve the problem.
- Nothing, they are going deeper to find more fish.
- They could use nets that allow smaller fish to escape.
- Not much
Explain how nature acts to solve the problem (challenge).
- Nature constantly reproduces and balances change to ecosystems. But it’s difficult for the coral reef to keep producing fish if every time it’s fished 50% of the fish are taken.
Explain & discuss other ways to solve the problem in the future.
- Have restrictions on times to fish.
- Have parks where no fishing is allowed.
- Have laws that limit the amount of fish/seafood you can take.
- Have the infrastructure and officers to enforce restrictions and laws.
- Fish hatcheries to help grow small fish and then release them.
- Fish farms
Donate equipment to the fishermen.
Educate the fishermen.
Government or NGOs could help them find other jobs.