How do we affect the carbon cycle? (What do you know?)
- burn forest and fossil fuels which release carbon dioxide (CO2) into the atmosphere
- this includes burning gasoline
- we extract carbon from the ground through mines for coal and pumping oil from wells
- we exhale CO2 . This CO2 is made in our cells and transported to our lungs in blood.
- when you die,
- your carbon will go to the atmosphere if your body is cremated
- if you are buried, some of your body will become rock, and some will be decomposed by bacteria and become part of the atmosphere
- overall, we are increasing the amount of carbon in the atmosphere, which is causing global warming and could results in adisaster such as:
- cities flooding
- ice caps/permafrost meltng
- certain places becoming hot
What are the natural parts of the carbon cycle? (What do you know?)
- carbon goes from the atmosphere into plants. the mass of a tree comes from air/atmosphere
tropical forests take up CO2 and we are reducing the area quickly
- How does the carbon cycle affect us?
- Global warming is being caused by increased atmospheric CO2 concentrations
- Increased CO2 is causing oceans to become more acidic
- this kills coral reefs
- this kills other living things
- What is the carbon cycle?
In your task books, predict whether the following things add CO2 to the atmosphere or remove CO2 from the atmosphere:
- Forest fires, both man-made and natural
- plants, phytoplankton, corals, animals that become sediment (rock)
- Decomposition of dead plants, phytoplankton, algae, animals
- Burning of fossil fuels
- Animals breathing
- Ocean water, which CO2 dissolves in and becomes acidic
- Land PlantsWatch the following video to get more information!